Thursday, November 02, 2006

Driving and the Weather

Last week the humidity was very low and I was getting shocked almost every time I got out of a vehicle. That wouldn't be a problem for most people, but my job is to drive the Toyota Tacoma trucks off the end of the production line. I was getting shocked every 2 minutes, and it was getting uncomfortable.
The solution was to close the door with my forearm. I still got shocked, but it didn't startle me like the shocks through my fingertips.

On Monday morning it was in the low 50's after work when I got to my car. The freeway on-ramp I use has a nice 180˚ banked turn that I like to accelerate around. Today the front of the car wanted to go straight. There was no grip from the tyres! I took my foot off the gas, weight transferred to the front wheels, and they began to grip, but then the rear tyres got light and lost their grip sending me into a slide. What had happened? My tyres use a soft racing compound that needs to be warm before it grips. So just like with a race car, I needed to warm my tyres.

Today it's raining, so I'll leave for work early. The first rain of the season will make the roads oily and traffic slow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. I get shocked EVERYTIME I get off the car. It doesn't matter if I use my jacket, I still shocked. Instead of touching the car to get out I touched my roommate's shirt and still got shocked! Is there any solution to this? It's been like that for almost a whole week.