Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Children of Men


The premise of the movie is that in the future women are infertile. And the first woman to give birth in twenty years must be smuggled out of the country (England) to join the 'Human Project'.

I didn't understand why it was so important that the woman and child must leave, and the movie didn't make me care which way the plot went.

There's also a lack of suspense in this dark movie (c.f. Orwell's1984). Perhaps the movie would have succeeded without the suspense if it had been more dark, more disturbing.

On the other hand,The bleak urban atmosphere and battle scenes are very well executed. But I expect good production qualities in my movies.

So despite a great performance by Clive Owen, and a refreshing lack of sentimentality, in the end I just didn't care what happened to the characters.

(Lani wrote about the rudeness of the movie audience here)

Categories:Movies

No comments: