Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ikea

Shop carefully at Ikea and buy things that are well made and will last for years.

Here are my tips for shopping:
1) For me, shopping at Ikea is very stressful, so I go in the morning during the week when the crowds are small.
2) I don't buy wood veneer. It's easily damaged by normal wear and tear.
3) Their couches are generally not a good value.
4) Think hard before spending more than $50 for any item.
5) Be creative. Buy bed sheets to use as curtains. Colanders as lamp shades. Cutlery draws turned sideways as shelving for miniature object d'art.

I was looking for curtains and curtain rods for the bedroom and front room. They had exactly what I wanted, and I'll put them up tomorrow. I got lace curtains for privacy in the front room. And thicker curtains for the bedroom that promise to cut out light and sound. The old curtains are looking very sad.

Categories:Consumer Design Furniture

No comments: