Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The job What I Do

When I was a boy, there was a popular comedy team called Morecambe and Wise. Ernie Wise was the little one. He had pretensions of being a writer, and often talked about "the play what I wrote".

So the job what I do is one of the better jobs in the factory. The benefits and retirement are good, my coworkers are great, and we're very well paid for unskilled labour. But that doesn't make it easy to get up at 4am, drive 45 miles, then work a 9 hour shift plus 2 Saturdays per month. That's my complaint.

I'd be much happier getting up at 7am and riding the streetcar to work here in the city. I'd have to take a big pay cut. I'm thinking about doing it.

Finding a good job here will be a challenge because San Francisco is not a working class town. There is no industrial 'base' in SF. I will have to be inventive.

Categories:Work

No comments: