Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Pedestrian Safety

By California standards SF is a good place to be a pedestrian. Pedestrians have the right-of-way, and drivers must stop to let them pass, whether or not the pedestrians are obeying the road rules. There are footpaths everywhere in the city, and walking trails in Golden Gate Park and the Presidio.

So I was upset to learn that a jogger was hit by a car last Thursday morning in the Presidio. The jogger was running on the street. As I noted here, it is now possible to walk/run/mountainbike through the Presidio without being on any roads or near any traffic. I don't want to blame the victim, and I allow that by running on the street, rather than a trail, a person is safer from attack/mugging. I just want to point out that there are options.

The driver gave the victim no options. After striking her he/she didn't stop.

Categories:San Francisco

No comments: