Monday, June 26, 2006

The World's Fastest Indian

A few months ago Lani and I saw this movie starring Anthony Hopkins as the stoic Burt Munroe.

I was born 40 miles from where Burt lived, but I hadn't heard of Burt Munroe or his speed records until now. As a boy, it seemed to me that driving very fast in a straight line, or around a large banked oval track, or over the 1/4 mile, had more to do with automotive engineering than driver skill(As speeds have increased, my opinion has changed).

Invercargill, Southland and even Gore get mentioned in this movie! What an interesting story. I cringed through the first hour, thinking all manner of bad events would befall our hero. I worried for him in the lonely Invercargill suburbs, then worried for him more when he and his motorcycle reach LA. I only began to relax and enjoy the movie when he reached the Bonneville salt flats and got down to business.

Images from Indianmotorbikes.com

Categories:Movies Cars

No comments: