Friday, April 21, 2006

Hey! Wait! I've Got a New Complaint...

(A Nirvana lyric that I've taken out of context)

I don't blame, I complain: Work has suddenly turned very bad for me. I didn't get the job I was testing for, and my 13 years seniority is no longer enough for me to hold 1st shift. In two weeks I'll be working second shift from 4:30pm until the wee hours of the morning. I'm depressed, so I've taken two weeks off work so I can calm down, adjust to the change, then return to work on the second shift.

The UAW seniority system is an important part of our contract, and I fully support it. Management in my area has treated me very well and even offered to move me to another group in QC where I might be able to hold days for a few more weeks. But eventually I would be 'bumped to nights'.

My best solution is to put in a transfer back to the assembly line in Passenger. Why Passenger and not Truck? When you work on the production line you're concerned about the various options each vehicle has. A truck might be 2WD, 4wd, automatic, 5-speed, 6-speed, locking diff, bench seat, bucket seat, 'B' cab, 'C' cab, 'D' cab, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder....
The cars are almost all 4 cylinder/automatic. There's not much to read on the manifest, and therefore less chance of bolting on the wrong parts. And because the passenger production line moves faster than truck, you do fewer tasks on each vehicle. There's less to remember.

No comments: