Sunday, December 30, 2007

Wright's Taliesin West Garden Room

Taliesin (pronounced Tal-ie-s-in) West school was built on a 600 acre desert estate near Phoenix over many years by Taliesin students, starting in 1937. It's the main campus of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture.

These photos are of the Wright living room. Wright constantly made changes to his living room over the years, probably experimenting with different materials and designs. He called it the Garden Room; it looks out onto a lush garden.

The floor is concrete. Initially, the canvas that was used for the roof, extended down the sides to the masonry walls. Glass windows were added later. The roof beams were replaced with steel, and electric lighting was added.


No comments: